|Dep. Garching-Hochbrück||08:20||(via Marienplatz, arrives Bhf 08:49)|
|Dep. Ismaning||08:30||(arrives Bhf 09:00)|
|Meet Hauptbahnhof||09:00||(Meet in steh-cafe in front of platforms 13-14)|
Hike start point
Hike map in other formats
- From Oberau Bahnhof (659m) follow the track south and at the first junction turn left, over the railway track, and cross the north-south road, and climb the Isar embankment path.
- Walk south for about 500m and then turn left over the bridge, and take the first right, which is signposted for Weilheimerhütte.
- Then follow the level path for 2Km, crossing the ford, and shortly branching left of the path.
- Climb the steep Oberauersteig path for 4Km to Frickenkar (1678m) where the path turns left, north-east, under the the saddle between Hoher Fricken and Bischof.
- 500m further on the path forks: the Garmisch turn to the right leads south around the east side of Hohen Fricken, the Krottenkopf turn to the left continues north-east towards Oberer Risskopf and Krottenkopf.
- 2Km further north-east the path reaches a saddle (1964m) between Kareck and the backside of Bischof; continue left, north-east.
- 2Km further on is the Weilheimerhütte (a.k.a. Krottenkopfhütte) (1955m).
- From there it is about a 30 minute walk return journey to the Krottenkopf peak (2086m).
- The path down leads 2Km right back towards the Bischof-Kareck saddle, but on the south-side and at a lower height (c.1800m) and then on to where the proper track begins (c.1600m).
- From there it is 4Km to the WK-KRE fork (c.1300m), turn south-west towards Farchanter Alm.
- Then it’s 3Km south-west to Esterberg Alm (1265m) and a further 8Km counter-clockwise round Wank on the W1 path back to St. Anton (762m) and 2Km further to Garmisch Bahnhof (708m).
Hike end point
We’ll eat at Zum Wildschütz. From the south-west side of the main railway line, it is a few blocks away at Bankgasse 9. (Please try to make it for the meal – it’s the best part of the day!)
- If you want to share a group ticket let me know!
- You should definitely check the weather!
- For my peace of mind, some conditions apply!